The USA Team, after three consecutive victories (2005, 2007, 2009) lost the 2011 Solheim Cup by the narrowest margin in the history of the event, final score was 15.0 – 13.0.
Saturday, after two fierce days of competition the teams tied 8.0-8.0, making it a very intense day of singles matches on Sunday.
Day Three Results – Sunday 25th September Singles (CO Solheimcup.com)
- Catriona Matthew beat Paula Creamer by 6 and 5
- Sophie Gustafson beat Stacy Lewis by 2 holes
- Anna Nordqvist lost to Morgan Pressel by 2 and 1
- Laura Davies halved with Juli Inkster
- Melissa Reid lost to Vicky Hurst by 2 holes
- Christel Boeljon beat Brittany Lincicome by 2 holes
- Sandra Gal lost to Brittany Lang by 6 and 5
- Maria Hjorth lost to Christina Kim by 4 and 2
- Suzann Pettersen beat Michelle Wie by 1 hole
- Caroline Hedwall halved with Ryann O’Toole
- Azahara Muñoz beat Angela Stanford by 1 hole
- Karen Stupples won over Cristie Kerr *
*Due to injury Kerr conceded the match to Stupples and Europe were awarded the point.
Making the singles totals Europe 7, USA 5 and the overall 15 – 13 respectively..
What do you guys think about the Stupples win over Kerr, due to an injury resulting in a withdrawal?
Now, I know, in the signed captains agreement it clearly stated the penalty for situations like this, but it seems like a shallow victory because of this, what do you think?
I would think that for such an important biannual event like this, they could have a more thoroughly considered contingency plan, than, shes out and they get a point by default.
Know what I mean?