Phil Mickelson: Secrets of the Short Game

A while ago I mentioned that Phil Mickelson: Secrets of the Short Game were available on Netflix, which is totally awesome.

I finally finished up my Battlestar Galactica series 🙂 and received the first of two DVD’s. So far, so good.

The first disk is broken down into three sections, Introduction, Putting and Chipping. I’ve watched through the intro and the putting section (pretty lengthy and informative).

The intro is pretty much Phil telling us how awesome he is (but not in an arrogant Shooter Mcgavin way) and how with lots of practice, his DVD’s and training aids, we can be awesome like him.

Phil take the putting stroke, dissects it into a bunch of pieces and covers each piece in a way that gives you the technical reasoning why it should be done this way and then if you still wish to do it your way, gives you corrective measures to help enhance it. I thought this was pretty interesting, many of the instruction videos/books I’ve read, have been pretty much “this is the only way to do it!” Now there are certain areas where he applies this philosophy, but it makes sense why he does it.

Here’s a couple of the areas he discusses in the DVD.

General Principles of Putting

This section contains an overview of the putting stroke, eye positioning, angle the clubface should be at impact and ball placement in your stance.

I’ll give you a teaser, Phil Mickelson says that eye’s directly over the ball is not the correct eye positioning, he says back behind the ball and short of the ball is where they should be.

The Stroke

This section covers (obviously), the putting stroke and talks about the proper follow through and how to avoid blocking the putt. It mentions also the wrong way to do it and why it’s wrong.

Teaser…”There is one must to be a good putter.. your hands have to continue to the target.”

To Forward Press or Not

This section discusses what a forward press is and answers the question “Should I forward press or not?”

Aiming the putter.

All the above information only makes up about 10% of putting, the other 90% has to do with face angle… where the putter face is aimed. That’s the most important thing…

Plugs the “Pelz Putting Tutor.”

Phil’s Basic Putting Concept

The core and foundation of Phil’s Putting Philosophy, the 3ft circle drill. He mentioned an interesting statistic that I think is safe to mention, see below.

At 3ft you can make 97-100% of your putts.

At 4ft, your percentage drops below 90%.

At 5ft, it goes down to 75%

At 6ft, it drops to 55%

You need every putt and every chip to be within 3ft and since your goal is to be here, you need to be infallible from this range.

He discusses the drill he uses, the putting stroke to use, and explains how working this drill constantly will increase confidence, help you deal with pressure and sink more putts.  He also discusses pitfalls you can find from this range and how to avoid them. I found this image via google and it isn’t exactly the same, but it’s close to what’s in the Secrets of the Short Game. And, No, that’s not a newer slimmer Phil… 🙂

Read The Putt

This section was a little confusing to me, but he talks about how almost every golfer never reads enough break in their putts and shows an example of how we justify our misread. It seems like the goal of this lecture was to take double what you think the break is and putt straight at that point and let the break do the rest…

Hah, he mentioned this quote that I can’t help but agree with, “Dave Pelz did a study that high handicappers under-read their putts 100% of the time!”

Long Putts, 40,50,60 foot putting drills

Phil discusses his philosophy on long putts and how the object isn’t to sink them, but to get them within the infallible range, he also describes a drill he uses for this, which reminds me very much of an article written by Butch Harmon,

Little Pre-Game Advice Courtesy of Phil

Stay Tuned for more!

-Dave

Save up to 70% on tee times when you book on GolfNow.com Today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.